The challenge: Create some form of visual art, no matter how small, each day for a full year.
I started doing the detail work on the rose today. First, I looked at the dark shadows on the rose, and decided how I would illustrate those values on my picture. I filled in the darkest shadow first, which gave me a concrete value to use when deciding how dark to make my other shadows.
I then decided to start in the middle of the rose and work my way out. I finished the first two interior petals and began the third, one of the main ones, but I ran out of time.
Here is the close up on what I tried to do:
This is the picture so far. (You can see my darkest value in the bottom petal. I haven’t caught up to it yet, if that makes sense.)
This is the reference picture: